Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Maiden Voyage

Well, here goes nothing!  My name is Julia Warren-Ulanch, MD, and I have trained to be an Adult and Pediatric Endocrinologist.  That means that after 4 years of college, I had the fortune to complete 4 years of medical school, 4 years of residency, and 4 years of fellowship.  Yes, this means more years after graduation from high school than the years spent before, and by the time I was done, I finished the 28th grade.  Although I love what I do, I still wonder what I'll be when I grow up. 

Right now, I am in private practice in Raleigh, North Carolina.  Carolina Endocrine, PA, to be exact.  I've been there since I finished my fellowship in 2006.  Day-to-day, I see adults and children with hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid), hyperthyroidism (over-active thyroid), and thyroid nodules (lumps and bumps on the thyroid).  Some of my patients struggle with not growing tall enough or fast enough, or with growing too much.  Others have started puberty too early, or never started.  Problems with reproduction?  I see that too, from low interest in trying to irregular cycles or even pituitary problems that can interfere, like prolactinomas.  Even blood pressure can sometimes be an endocrine problem, low or high.  Of course, I can't address everything, but I do my best to help all types of patients that come in.  Even the diabetics, though this isn't my focus.

Later this month, I'll be going to the spring meeting of the American Thyroid Association, about treatments for hypothyroidism.  I'll plan to post more after that meeting.  Maybe even before then, if I run across something interesting.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment